Converting 640x480 PAR 1.0 video to 720x480 NTSC .9
n***@gmail.com
2007-07-01 13:47:10 UTC

I am trying to take video recorded from a point-and-shoot camera in
video mode at 640x480 resolution with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0 to
720x480 resolution with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9 for burning to
DVD. Since these are source shot by others, I don't have the option
to re shoot with a better DV camera. I am using Adobe Premiere Pro
2.0.

If I encode to an AVI output, it looks good. When I burn to a DVD,
the result looks pretty bad, it is very pixelated, as if I had started
with a much lower resolution clip and scaled it up to the higher
resolution.

I have tried "scale to frame size" but this doesn't help. I have also
tried changing the pixel aspect ratio of the source clip, but this of
course squishes the video.

All the above was done with a project defined as DV NTSC 720x480
23.976 frame rate. I also tried creating a project with 640x480 (at
bot h23.976 and 29.97 frame rates) and then exporting this to DVD but
the results were the same.

Is there some way to do this that will result in a better looking
output?

Peter
David Liddle

http://www.virtualdub.org/
n***@gmail.com
2007-07-02 12:21:38 UTC
David,
Post by David Liddle
Virtual Dub
http://www.virtualdub.org/
Can you tell me a little more? From the Virtual Dub website, I don't
find anything that might indicate how to solve my problem.

Peter
David Liddle
2007-07-02 14:16:09 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
David,
Post by David Liddle
Virtual Dub
http://www.virtualdub.org/
Can you tell me a little more? From the Virtual Dub website, I don't
find anything that might indicate how to solve my problem.
Peter
Peter

Download and install Virtual Dub and also the various filters mentioned.
You can resize, rescale or letterbox video as well as altering
framerates etc. VDub is very powerful software and it is free.
There is a version which also allows Mpeg2 files to be processed.

David L