No audio on imported avi - VBR problem?
Smogo
2007-02-07 17:15:21 UTC
I have a bunch of avi files (taken from torrents) which play fine in
Windows Media Player, VirtualDub, and Mplayer. But when I import them
into Premiere Pro 2.0, they are listed as "Video" (rather than
"Movie"), and they have no soundtrack. They do not play at all in
QuickTime (no sound, no video, but the timeline does move when you
press Play).

GSpot details the audio as follows:

Codec: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
Info: 48000Hz 125 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.90.

VirtualDub brings up the following warning:

"AVI: Variable bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is non-
standard...."

I have read that Premiere doesn't like importing avi files which have
VBR audio. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
Cliff
Darrell G
2007-02-08 05:13:10 UTC
Post by Smogo
I have a bunch of avi files (taken from torrents) which play fine in
Windows Media Player, VirtualDub, and Mplayer. But when I import them
into Premiere Pro 2.0, they are listed as "Video" (rather than
"Movie"), and they have no soundtrack. They do not play at all in
QuickTime (no sound, no video, but the timeline does move when you
press Play).
Codec: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
Info: 48000Hz 125 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo LAME3.90.
"AVI: Variable bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is non-
standard...."
I have read that Premiere doesn't like importing avi files which have
VBR audio. Is there any way around this?
I'm not familiar with the VBR problem, but you could always import the
video into another app, then transcode the audio part in to something
that PPro would like. Then just use the original video (to preserve
picture quality) with the newly transcoded audio. In my experience, if
you can play it in Windows Media Player, you should be able to use
Windows Movie Maker to do this.
Smogo
2007-02-08 12:17:21 UTC
Thanks for the suggestion; I've ended up downloading Nero
VisionExpress to do what I was trying to do (ie export the avi files
to DVD).

Cliff