VirtualDub vs Premiere Elements?
y***@yahoo.com
2006-10-17 15:05:54 UTC
Hi all,

I'm a cheapskate and I've been using the free video editing
program VirtualDub for some time with good success,
along with AviSynth. However VirtualDub's GUI is not all that
I would hope for, and I am wondering, is it worth it to spend
the $58 for Premiere Elements academic version? (That's
the price from Provantage, and they seem reliable enough
according to the reviews at resellerratings.com.)

Honestly I'm a little hesitant to buy an Adobe product,
because I remember how they abused a Russian
programmer a few years ago, getting the FBI to
arrest him while he was visiting Las Vegas from Russia,
using the infamous DMCA law as a pretext. Thing is,
he wasn't personally guilty of anything, his company was,
so it was like he was held hostage. Oh man, my loathing
for Adobe is coming back to me now...

I have read that another major payware editing program for
Windows bombs a lot, but I don't know if that's just FUD.

Thanks.
Ray S
2006-10-17 15:35:27 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
[...]
Then why not use something like windows moviemaker which is free, or the
Avid Free version, or get the entry level editing software from Sony
Vegas or Ulead, or......
y***@yahoo.com
2006-10-17 15:46:43 UTC
Post by Ray S
Then why not use something like windows moviemaker which is free, or the
Avid Free version, or get the entry level editing software from Sony
Vegas or Ulead, or......
I've used moviemaker but found it problematic on several
occassions.

The other programs I wasn't aware of but I will check them out.
Thanks.
Richard Crowley
2006-10-17 16:13:18 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Honestly I'm a little hesitant to buy an Adobe product,
because I remember how they abused a Russian
programmer a few years ago, getting the FBI to
arrest him while he was visiting Las Vegas from Russia,
using the infamous DMCA law as a pretext. Thing is,
he wasn't personally guilty of anything, his company was,
so it was like he was held hostage. Oh man, my loathing
for Adobe is coming back to me now...
What?, the FBI couldn't arrest someone without Adobe's
permission? Or Adobe sneaked him into the country under
the FBI's nose? Reading too many black helicopter stories?
y***@yahoo.com
2006-10-17 17:15:23 UTC
Post by Richard Crowley
Reading too many black helicopter stories?
Is your ignorance really so blissful? Do you usually
enjoy demonstrating it in public and looking like an ass?

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Elcomsoft/

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-270082.html
s***@usfamily.net
2006-10-19 18:42:48 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
[...]
Elements is a great program. I use it a lot. My wife uses Premiere
7.0, and there are some things elements does better than this somewhat
dated version of Premiere. The DVD burning part is really very nice.