how to stabilize video after recording it?
Yap
2006-10-20 21:59:46 UTC
Hi all,

I recorded some video and I have the individual frames.
However the camera was shaking when I took it,
and I want to stabilize it, even if that means that
I will have to crop it.

I know this can be done, because recently I watched
one of those 9/11 truth videos, where they were showing
molten iron dripping out of one of the towers from
very high up, but nowhere near the impact site.
Anyway, the original video had been very shaky
but they managed to stabilize it. How is this done?

Thanks.
PTravel
2006-10-20 23:40:26 UTC
Post by Yap
Hi all,
I recorded some video and I have the individual frames.
However the camera was shaking when I took it,
and I want to stabilize it, even if that means that
I will have to crop it.
I know this can be done, because recently I watched
one of those 9/11 truth videos, where they were showing
molten iron dripping out of one of the towers from
very high up, but nowhere near the impact site.
Anyway, the original video had been very shaky
but they managed to stabilize it. How is this done?
Thanks.
The same way it's one in-camera in inexpensive camcorders that use EIS
(electronic image stabilization). Movement is detected by algorithm, and
the image is zoomed in and centered. Take a look at this webpage for an
explanation:

http://travelersvideo.com/Stable%20Video.htm

There's a section on image stabilization in the lower right hand corner,
including some clips that illustrate how it works.

Steadyhand by Dynapel is an effective stand-alone tool. Premiere Pro also
comes with a reasonably good plug-in, the name of which escapes me at the
moment.

Understand, though, that you will _always_ lose quality when you stabilize
if you go full-frame, because the image must be enlarged. If you use
borders, you won't lose resolution, but you will lose parts of your image.
Yap
2006-10-24 00:14:25 UTC
Post by PTravel
Steadyhand by Dynapel is an effective stand-alone tool.
I tried their demo, however it bombs on my machine,
which is running XP.
p***@travelersvideo.com
2006-10-24 00:48:23 UTC
Post by Yap
Post by PTravel
Steadyhand by Dynapel is an effective stand-alone tool.
I tried their demo, however it bombs on my machine,
which is running XP.
Runs fine on mine (and always has). I'm running XP Pro SP2 (and it
worked under SP1 and the original XP Pro).
nick666
2006-10-24 08:01:57 UTC
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/deshaker_guide.htm#Download

It's called Deshaker and plugs into something called VirtualDub. All
Freeware.

Works great and uses past/future frames to allow you to keep the
original frame size & not have to zoom in.

great tool
Yap
2006-10-24 18:30:34 UTC
Thanks Nick. I already use VirtualDub and Deshaker 2.0 worked perfectly.